June 4, 2020
Dear members and friends of the United Community Church of Morrisville,
Grace and peace to you all!
The UCCM Re-Entry Team met this week to carefully and prayerfully consider the possibility of holding in-person worship and ministries indoors in the Worship Center. We shared these facts and recommendations from the UCC and UMC (links to these resources are in another post):
* Meeting inside is still dangerous, especially for our older members and friends.
* When spaced out at 6-foot intervals, the UCCM sanctuary only holds 29 individuals at one time. Anyone who arrives for worship who exceeds this number in the building would be turned away.
* In-person worship would be significantly different than what we’re used to:
– Everyone would need to wear masks, including children.
– Everyone (except family) would need to stay 6 feet apart at all times.
– Everyone would need to enter/exit the building at 6-foot intervals.
– No singing (singing projects droplets that can carry the virus).
– No Bibles/hymnals in the pews; no passing of collection plates, communion, etc.
– No coffee hour or visiting before or after worship.
– All persons in attendance would need to be recorded for contact tracing if needed.
These requirements also apply to ministries such as Breakfast on Us, etc.
We balanced our priority of keeping people safe, what it means to gather in Christian fellowship, and our witness to the larger community. Given all these considerations, we have come to this conclusion:
We will re-assess in mid-July, when more information should be available about how to proceed safely. This timing will also allow our new pastor, Rev. Becca Girrell, to join the Re-Entry Team and be part of the decision-making going forward.
We realize that this is a disappointing decision. We also want to join together for Sunday morning worship, and to resume Breakfast on Us! But until it is possible to do so safely, we believe this to be the most faithful action at this time.
In the meantime, we will continue live-streamed worship and other ways to connect digitally.
Please, if you are not able to participate in the live-stream and/or are not receiving our digital communications, call the church office at (802) 888-2225 and let Claudia know! We do not want to overlook the spiritual needs of anyone at UCCM. We’ll work with you to find a way to connect.
In prayer and in faith that God will continue to guide us forward,
The UCCM Re-Entry Team: Rev. Barb Lemmel/Rev. Becca Girrell, Claudia N, Carol O, Dot R, Duane S, Jane S, Judy S, Heidi W-K, Mary Ann W.